There are five critical factors that contribute to successful strategic planning process:
1) Begin with a data driven approach to examine and establish the organization’s current situation including strengths and opportunities.
2) Ensure transparency and be inclusive by including a wide variety of stakeholders in the process.
3) Identify the organization’s strengths, opportunities, and threats through a SPOT (strengths, problems, opportunities, and threats) analysis.
4) Ensure the plan has the flexibility to change when major changes in the environment demands it (such as during the current pandemic, for many non-profits).
5) Give equal thought to implementation and success metrics, to ensure the strategic plan is realized.